On September 30, 2009, President Obama signed an Executive Order directing federal employees not to engage in text messaging:
- While driving government-owned vehicles;
- When using electronic equipment supplied by the government while driving; or
- While driving privately owned vehicles when they're on official government business.
The order also encourages federal contractors and others doing business with the government to adopt and enforce their own policies banning texting while driving on the job.
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) banned commercial truck and bus drivers from texting while driving in September 2010, and later banned all hand-held cell phone use by commercial drivers in November 2011.
Drivers of Hazardous Materials
In February 2011, the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) banned texting on electronic devices by drivers operating a motor vehicle containing hazardous materials, in conjunction with the proposed FMCSA ban.
The Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) banned rail employees from using cell phones or other electronic devices on the job following a September 2008 Metrolink crash in Chatsworth, California that killed 25 people.
After a Northwest flight crew distracted by a laptop overshot their destination by 150 miles, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) advised air carriers to create and enforce policies that limit distractions in the cockpit and keep pilots focused on transporting passengers safely.
- Final Notice: Visual-Manual NHTSA Driver Distraction Guidelines for In-Vehicle Electronic Devices
- Guidelines for Reducing Visual-Manual Driver Distraction during Interactions with Integrated, In-Vehicle, Electronic Devices Version 1.00
- Guidelines for Reducing Visual-Manual Driver Distraction during Interactions with Integrated, In-Vehicle, Electronic Devices Version 1.01
Full Regulation Text
- Executive Order: Federal Leadership on Reducing Texting While Driving
- FMCSA Texting Final Rule Regulatory Impact Analysis
- FMCSA Texting Final Rule
- PHMSA Texting Final Rule Regulatory Impact Analysis
- PHMSA Texting Final Rule
- FRA Distracted Operator Final Rule Regulatory Impact Analysis
- FRA Distracted Operator Final Rule
- FMCSA Cell Phone Final Rule